Sunday, September 2, 2012

"Our Mighty God"

"For who is God save the LORD? or who is a rock save our God?" (Psalms 18:31) When it comes to putting our trust in God, there is one thing that must be understood: God can pretty much do whatever He wants to do! When you are All Powerful, All Knowing, and All Encompassing, you can pretty much make things happen that suit your desire and your will. Yesterday I was working on a message for church today, and I had made a comment to our pastor earlier in the week about where to start, and said, Maybe I should start in Genesis 1:1. The message is about Acts 5:12-20, and is primarily on verses 19 & 20; which is where the angel comes at night and takes the apostles out of prison, and then gives them a charge: "Go, stand and speak in the temple to the people all the words of this life". As I was gathering verses to help make the point about what it means to stand, and what "this Life" really means, I was struck by what Peter said in 1Peter 2:9 & 10; and after pondering on those two verses for several minutes, I flipped over to Genesis 1:1-3. As I began to read the account of God's initial creation, I saw a similarity within a couple points that were made by Peter. Genesis 1:1-3 says, "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light." Then, as we look at what Peter is writing to Christians that were under heavy persecution, he was encouraging them about who they are in Christ, and that they were chosen by God, from the beginning of time; and in 1 Peter 2:9-10, Peter tells them , "But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of Him who hath called out of darkness into His marvelous light: which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy". Now, maybe it's just me, but don't you see a similarity in a couple of points that Peter is making and the beginning of creation? I don't think I will be sharing this in church today; I will have enough trying to make the miraculous deliverance of the apostles from that prison, come to life and speak about our miraculous delivery from death to life; but I thought I would share it with you. God is God because He can do whatever is His desire to do! He can create something from nothing, and He can surely transform darkness into Light...

No comments:

Post a Comment