Friday, March 15, 2024

"Chasing the Wind"

 "I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit." (Ecclesiastes 1:14 KJV)

  "Don't you realize that is a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what I should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified." (1 Corinthians 9:24-27 NLT)

 This might be one of those messages that hits very close to home, having lived most of my last forty-plus years as a Christian, less than giving my all for the Lord. Don't get me wrong, I have tried to do my part; but looking back at everything, both good and bad, those things that stink seem to stand out the most. 

 Here is the thing that should be first and forefront on every believer's mind: "Only what's done for Christ will last!" If you are planning your life upon what is possible in the life of economics and business, you will be constantly dealing with worry and discouragement around every corner. 

 When I was working for someone else, my life seemed less stressful, and I had more free time to spend with my family. Even the evenings after work, although I worked long hours, when I checked out, I was free to spend time, my time, not concerned about the business, because the business wasn't mine! 

 Now, step that up, a thousand notches! When you live as a servant to the Lord, making everything based upon His leading and guiding your life, your life becomes less filled with worry; especially when you make everything you have, not yours, but God's! If everything belongs to God, when it breaks, it is not your problem, because it is God that gives and takes away, we are only stewards of all that He gives to us. 

 Yes, I talk a good game, but like I said, less than giving all to the Lord, actually means that I claimed possession on more than I should have; and that's putting it lightly! I was reminded about something yesterday that made me think about God's giving us, by us giving up. I know it sounds odd, but when you surrender something by giving it away, God provides you something better. 

 Case in point: I had been searching for a particular portrait for 15 years or more, with no success; even though I had a friend who owned a Christian Book Store; and she had no success looking to find me one. Then one Saturday morning as I was finishing my devotion time, I felt God give me a tap on my shoulder, saying, "Look for that portrait now!" 

 Instantly, I got online and typed in the search, "MasterPeace - Forgiven", and within minutes, there it was on Etsy, bidding for $1,200.00; and I bought it, no questions asked! When it showed up at my house, it was well packaged and sealed by the people that sold it online. It included a note explaining how they didn't really want to sell it but needed to money. No sooner than the time they posted it online through Etsy, there I was, buying it without even trying to bid, but paying full price. 

 I was extremely thrilled by the whole ordeal, especially because God was involved, and it felt as though it was an anointed transaction. But then! A year or so later, as I was doing an inspection on a vacant house, both the agent and I went into the garage, and I notice a portrait that was blocking a pet-door inside the side door of the garage. 

 When I pulled to portrait away from the door, it was the same portrait the I had paid $1,200 for, just sitting there, blocking a pet-door. I was so shock, I told her the whole story about the one I bought, and then she suggested that if I wanted it, she would ask the owner, because it obviously was left by the previous tenants. 

 The very next day, she showed up at my house with the portrait, and handed it off to me, totally free! My very first thought was to give the one I purchased to a friend of mine that really loved it, as he knew how long and hard I had searched for it. As I was swapping the portraits on the wall, I noticed the back of the free one had a pocket, and inside the pocket was a Certificate of Authenticity, but the back of the one I had purchased, did not! 

 Anywho, there you have it! God is good, all the time, and all the time, God is good...

"It's not important who does the planting, or who does the watering. What's important is that God makes the seed grow. The one who plants and the one who waters work together with the same purpose. And both will be rewarded for their own hard work. For we are both God's workers. And you are God's field. You are God's building. Because of God's grace to me, I have laid the foundation like an expert builder. Now others are building on it. But whoever is building on this foundation must be very careful. For no one can lay any foundation other than the one we already have - Jesus Christ. Anyone who builds on that foundation may use a variety of materials - gold, silver, jewels, wood, hay, or straw. But on the judgment day, fire will reveal what kind of work each builder has done. The fire will show if a person's work has any value. If the work survives, that builder will receive a reward. But is the work is burned up, the builder will suffer great loss. The builder will be saved, but like someone barely escaping through a wall of flames." (1 Corinthians 3:7-15 NLT)  

No comments:

Post a Comment