Sunday, March 10, 2024

"By Implication!"

 "Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us." (Ecclesiastes 1:10 KJV)

  "Later, as Jesus left the town, he saw a tax collector named Levi sitting at his tax collector's booth. "Follow me and be my disciple," Jesus said to him. So Levi got up, left everything, and followed him. Later, Levi held a banquet in his house with Jesus as the guest of honor. Many of Levi's fellow tax collectors and other guests also ate with them. But the Pharisees and their teachers of religious law complained bitterly to Jesus' disciples, "Why do you eat and drink with such scum?" Jesus answered them, "Healthy people don't need a doctor - sick people do. I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners and need to repent."" (Luke 5:27-32 NLT)

 Honestly, I really had no clue what I was going to share this morning; I was totally stumped, especially since I thought I had the title, based upon the meaning of something within the verse, but then I tried to find it again, and couldn't. So, I just gave up, used it anyways, and then flipped to a verse I thought would be good, Luke 5:37, where Jesus speaks about putting new wine in old wineskins; but then I moved up to that which is before us today: Jesus came to save sinners! 

 If anyone doesn't quite know, God's reason for not wanting man to know good and evil, was not to say that He didn't want them to know what was bad, as if that was all there was to it; but if you know what it means to do good, then you will figure out a way to do bad, naturally! Which, believe it or not, is pretty much what the Ten Commandments that God gave to Moses for the people actually does! 

 Don't think of pink elephants! Oh, snap! That didn't work, I thought of them anyways! That is how sin works; good or bad, sin is derived by both, believe it or not! Damned if you do, damned if you don't! You cannot avoid the opportunity to sin: which basically means, you have missed the mark. There is a chance to sin by what you do, and a chance to sin by what you do not! 

 Look at the words God spoke to Cain, as He warned him to do right: "Why are you so angry"? the LORD asked Cain. "Why do you look so dejected? You will be accepted if you do what is right. But if you refuse to do what is right, then watch out! Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you. But you must subdue it and be its master." (Genesis 4:6-7 NLT)

 Within the Ten Commandment, there are seven commandments that are based upon Don'ts. Then there are three that are based upon Do's. Which are the most important of all? The do's or the don'ts? What was the most important thing God told Cain, to not do something, or what to do? DO! DO! & DO!  

 I know it might sound crazy, but if we wanted to deal with spiritual issues, as if that was the true meaning of life, sin has always remained the same: Sin is sin, we cannot win...   

"I have discovered this principle of life - that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. I love God's law with all my heart. But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God's law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin." (Romans 7:21-25 NLT) 

No comments:

Post a Comment