Sunday, November 19, 2023

"Part and Parcel"

 "Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took his garments, and made four parts, to every soldier a part; and also his coat: now the coat was without seam, woven from the top throughout." (John 19:23 KJV)

  "My enemies surround me like a pack of dogs; an evil gang closes in on me. They have pierced my hands and feet. I can count all my bones. My enemies stare at me and gloat. They divide my garments among themselves and throw dice for my clothing." (Psalm 22:16-18 NLT)

 Before I get started on this, there is something else that I need to add, which involves Samson, who is listed in The Hall of Faith. Not that it matters, but I actually believe it does, but Samson believed in and trusted God, yet he lived as if he did not follow God's instructions. Not that it means anything, but it is just one more example of believing God's love is real, has more value to it, than we might think. 

 Now, an article of clothing is mentioned here, which did not have seams, meaning that it was woven from the top to the bottom. In other words, it was some sort of a vestment, such as worn by priests, or a judge, which is worn over the outer clothing, and slips over the head, and drapes down past the knees. Oddly enough, the high priest was told to wear this sort of garment, as to protect his private areas from being seen, as he went up the stairs to offer a sacrifice. 

 Not sure how that coincides with what is happening here, as Jesus is exposed upon the cross, but I can only assume that there is some sort of connection. There is this thing that people refer to a shame! It is like being exposed when you are doing something naughty or found dressing in something that you shouldn't be wearing; or found running around naked in the woods, which is really quiet embarrassing, to say the least. 

 For the record! Jesus covers all your sins, even those that were done in secret! I have always imagined God looking down on me, saying, "What are you doing Richard?" As if He doesn't know, but He does know; He is just trying to get me to realize how foolish I am being, making me feel ashamed and feel bad for what I am doing. 

 I think we can all assume that boredom leads to more than we might have expected to do or discover; it is best to stay busy and remember that God is always watching you! That much you can count on...

"How the king rejoices in your strength, O LORD! He shouts with joy because you gave him victory. For you have given him his heart's desire; you have withheld nothing he requested. [Interlude] You welcomed him back with success and prosperity. You placed a crown of finest gold on his head. He asked you to preserve his life, and you granted his request. The days of his life stretch on forever. Your victory brings him great honor, and you have clothed him with splendor and majesty. You have endowed him with eternal blessings and given him the joy of your presence. For the king trusts in the LORD. The unfailing love of the Most High will keep him from stumbling." (Psalm 21:1-7 NLT)  

No comments:

Post a Comment