Sunday, February 26, 2023

"Our Greatest Need!"

 "Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter." (John 13:7 KJV) 

  "Dear brothers and sisters, be patient as you wait for the Lord's return. Consider the farmers who patiently wait for the rains in the fall and in the spring. They eagerly look for the valuable harvest to ripen. You too, must be patient. Take courage, for the coming of the Lord is near. Don't grumble about each other, brothers and sisters, or you be judged. For look - the judge is standing at the door. For examples of patience in suffering, dear brothers and sisters, look at the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. We give great honor to those who endure under suffering. For instance, you know about Job, a man of great endurance. You can see how the Lord was kind to him at the end, for the Lord is full of tenderness and mercy." (James 5:7-11 NLT)

 Maybe not what you were expecting; neither did I. I was expecting something like, remembering to make sure you are kept holy, as we ask for forgiveness every day, at least three times a day! Something that I almost never fail to do, as I don't want to die, either in my sleep or on the road, without knowing that my sins are forgiven. 

 First of all, I believe that my sins are forgiven! Yes, we still sin; and yes, we still need to ask for the Lord's forgiveness; but this is because we want to remain pure in heart and prepared for service, in whatever the Lord wants us to do. We must be good servants, as we anticipate His return each and every day, looking for and being ready to go, at any moment. 

 This is what I believe is our greatest need! In this day and age, especially, because there are so many things that we can do to distract our focus upon waiting, so many different ways to get caught up in this world; we could possibly lose the opportunity to be caught up in the Lord's soon return! 

 The other night I was having a discussion with a nephew, as we were talking about the fires that devastated Northern California a few years ago. We both agreed that being burnt alive was the worst way to go, something neither one of us wanted to experience. But then, I remembered something that I had made my mind up about, that if I did have that opportunity, especially if it was being burnt alive on a stake, I would make sure that I died singing praises to the Lord! 

 Anything to take my mind off of the pain of suffering...

"So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor. Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you. Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are. In his kindness God called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus. So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation. All power to him forever! Amen." (1 Peter 5:6-11 NLT) 

No comments:

Post a Comment