Saturday, February 25, 2023

"Awkward Moment"

 "Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet?" (John 13:6 KJV)

  ""O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones God's messengers! How often I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn't let me. And now, look, your house is abandoned and desolate. For I tell you this, you will never see me again until you say, 'Blessings on the one who comes in the name of the LORD!'"" (Matthew 23:37-39 NLT)

 Sorry for the shortness of my post yesterday, as I feel that my posts are sometimes being restricted and hidden; either that, or I am just talking to myself. As I was praying about this verse, it dawned on me that Peter was the guy that had tried to correct Jesus several times, having felt he knew better about certain things, like he did when Jesus told them He needed to be crucified, and Peter took Jesus aside and said, "God forbid, that should happen!" 

 That is pretty much the same thing we are looking at today. Although, the strange thing, is the sequence which might have taken place, as some see that it most likely happened. The first to have his feet washed was most likely Judas Iscariot, as he would have been the one who would have cherished the fact that Jesus was subjecting Himself to the task.

 Peter, on the other hand, would have been towards the end, as his apprehension would have stirred up the others to feel discomfort. Remember, Jesus knew exactly what was going to happen, so this needed to be just as it was. Peter was going to be used powerfully in ministry, so he needed to be stretched, groomed, and washed, for everything he would do later on. 

 You would think by now I would understand how that looks! Whenever we think about ourselves being somewhat special or gifted in some way, then we get put into our place! We are nothing more than a vessel for God to work through, which, if you know anything about Scripture, God can pretty much work through anything! He can speak through a bush or even donkey; so, if He speaks through you, don't get all puffed up over it! 

 By the way, Peter most likely was making this more about praise, as in, 'Lord, those hands have healed people, and you are going to wash my feet with them! No way!' Just another example of the power in this illustration; because Jesus was more than just a man, which they would all soon find out...

"Who has believed our message? To whom has the LORD revealed his powerful arm? My servant grew up in the LORD'S presence like a tender green shoot, like a root in dry ground. There was nothing beautiful or majestic about his appearance, nothing to attract us to him." (Isaiah 53:1-2 NLT)  

No comments:

Post a Comment