Monday, January 18, 2021

"Who You Know"

"Who is this that cometh up from the wilderness, leaning upon her beloved?" (S.O.S. 8:5a)

  "That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of salvation: in whom also, after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise." (Ephesians 1:12-13)

  There are only a few things in this life that really matter to me: my love for the Lord, my love for my wife, and finishing well. I know that there are mistakes I have made along the way; but I also know that God can use any or all of my mistakes for His glory. I know this, because I see the witness of Him doing that in the life of all those that had put their trust in Him. He is faithful to complete the work that He has started in us, whether we want Him to or not, He gets it done!  

  As you might have noticed, the verse above is only part of verse five, as the characters change after the question. That said, there are some that believe it is the Young Woman herself that is contending or challenging her love and devotion; in any case, it is really no difference whether it is in our own heart or it is brought before us, it happens either way. Truth be told, I think it might be worse if it becomes our own voice inside us, opposed to someone else giving us the challenge. 

  As to the question, it is the opinion of many that it is a complement and a blessing, as if to say she is well admired by what is seen in her; others believe it the bridegroom, as Matthew Henry notes: "expressing himself well pleased with her reliance on him and resignation of herself to his guidance." Despite the good thought it brings, it is premature to think of ourselves to be there yet, as if to say, 'I am going to stay right here, because this is where I belong.' Not that we should not make our election sure, but it is always best to know your limitations: you are like a reed blowing in the wind, only He is the one that is stationary and never changes! 

  So what is it to finish well? For me, I pray my dying breath will be calling out to Jesus, seeing His face as I prepare to depart this earth. Basically, there is no other reason then to have that hope, because having that as my hope is what causes me to keep my eyes upon Him. When your eyes are fixed upon that goal, your testimony will reflect it! Your life will make a statement of where your heart belongs; no matter where you came from or how hard road might be, the destination never changes...

"For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: and if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ, if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together." (Romans 8:15-17) 

No comments:

Post a Comment