Tuesday, June 30, 2020

"Resolution" -2

"My beloved is unto me a a cluster of camphire in the vineyards of Engedi." (S.O.S. 1:14)

  Not that I can proclaim any success, because my ability to withstand, well, let's just say I quit keeping track of the infractions. My mom use to have a demerit board for keeping track of our times of doing something bad enough to get awarded one; I seem to remember that I was the king of the demerit board; and ten demerits would usually result in something happening, or not happening, depending on what was for dinner that night. For what it's worth, from what I remember, the board was reset; and I could do something special in order to get some demerits erased. Which makes me wonder what kind of a lesson that was intended to teach me; just a thought.
  Another thing that Matthew Henry says about this verse, is regarding that word, "camphire," and how it is translated from the word, "copher," which is the same word that signifies atonement or propitiation. Now, what would you think of when you thought of that, specifically if it were is a cluster? Or more importantly, if it were like clusters of grapes in a vineyard? Just a thought!
  Surprisingly, the location is quite interesting, because it is more than just a place; even though it has the part of speech which is a proper locative noun, it has the root of an eye, good, bad, or selective. You might have heard the expression, "I don't see it that way," or, "Can't you see how that works," or, how about, "Can't you see it my way." All of which point to a direction of a point of view. Which is totally and completely the point: How do we see what Christ has done? How do we see how that works in our life? or maybe, How do think God sees you?
  Basically, the word resolution has very different meanings, but they are connected together as much as our eyes are to the soul: one meaning is that of a firm decision, while the other is that of being determined; and yet, another meaning is that of an action of solving a problem! Can you think of any problems you might have? It's really not to hard to see one...

"Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. I find then a law, that when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: but I see another law in my members, warring against the law in my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God though Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin." (Romans 7:20-25)

No comments:

Post a Comment