Thursday, August 16, 2018

"False Security"

"They that make them are like unto them; so is every one that trusteth in them." (Psalms 115:8)

 Besides the face that nothing except God can grant us eternal life, there is no real security in anything that we can make; as Peter says in 2 Peter 3:11-12, "Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought we to be in all holy conversation and godliness. Looking for and hasting unto the coming day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?" Basically, it all depends where are faith is and what it is that we are holding out for. Are we looking for the Lord to come back, at any moment? or are we living as though we have all the time in the world? I don't know about you, but this world cannot get much more like the end times, in my book! I have written in the space between this verse and the next in my Bible, "You become like the God you worship." This does not necessarily mean that you will turn into a statue if you worship a statue; it means that you will be as lost and alive as whatever it is that worship and put your faith in. What kind of life does an idol have, none! There is nothing that idols can do to protect us or provide for us, especially when it comes to eternity and salvation for our souls. A better illustration, which is something along the lines of what Peter is saying, is that all idols will be burnt up in the fire, they are combustable! So too are all that make them and put their trust in them, they are headed for destruction in the eternal fires of hell. When push comes to shove, where does your faith remain? When the pressure is on, what do you press into? There is really nothing here on this earth that can touch or tamper with my salvation in Christ; no matter what might overtake me, nothing can take away the eternal life that I have in Christ. When it comes to what matters most, we need to keep our eyes on that which cannot be destroyed or burnt up in the fire...

""I sank beneath the waves, and the waters closed over me. Seaweed wrapped itself around my head. I sank down in the very roots of the mountains. I was imprisoned in the earth, whose gates lock shut forever. But you, O LORD my God, snatched me from the jaws of death! As my life was slipping away, I remembered the LORD. And my earnest prayer went out to you in your holy Temple. Those who worship false gods turn their back on all God's mercies. But I will offer sacrifices to you with songs of praise, and I will fulfill all my vows. For my salvation comes from the LORD alone."" (Jonah 2:5-9) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment