Saturday, April 21, 2018

"Momentous"

"Hold not thy peace, O God of my praise;" (Psalms 109:1)

 This might be one of those Psalms where God can show us the what if's of our spiritual journey; those people and places that could have and should have been either part of our story or not. However, I have been convinced, over and over, that there are no mistakes in this journey, only lessons and momentous times of changing, either for better or worse. Matthew Henry says that this cannot be prescribed to any one portion of David's life; whether it be when he was hunted by Saul, or when he was rebelled against by Absalom. One thing is certain, there are some serious issues being put forth, some of which we could never find ourselves on the other end of, not as a child of the King! The retribution that is being sought is meant to be just rewards; an eye for an eye, is pretty much the thought. With that in mind, I cannot help but think of all the punishment that Jesus went through, not just in those last hours before He was crucified, but pretty much throughout His whole life. There are many of the curses mentioned here that could be easily ascribed to His life. When you stop and think about who He really was and what He gave up just to walk among us, the prince and the pauper story just is not deep enough. Have you ever had one of the situations where you really don't know how or what to pray for? You know that you want retribution for something that has happened, but you don't really know how or even why God should answer. Nothing that happened to David was outside of God's direction or protection; yet there were plenty of things that could have serious questions: Why did this happen? What is God trying to show me? How is this doing me any good? There are surely plenty of things in my own life that have unanswered questions, but none of them can be removed without also removing an answer...

"Sing a new song to the LORD! Sing his praises from the ends of the earth! Sing, all you who sail the seas, all you who live in distant coastlands. Join in the chorus, you desert towns; let the villages of Kedar rejoice! Let the people of Sela sing for joy; shout praises from the mountaintops! Let the whole world glorify the LORD; let it sing his praise. The LORD will march forth like a mighty hero; he will come out like a warrior, full of fury. He will shout his battle cry and crush all his enemies. He will say, "I have long been silent' yes, I have restrained myself. But now, like a woman in labor, I will cry and groan and pant. I will level the mountains and hills and blight all their greenery. I will turn the rivers into dry land and will dry up all the pools. I will lead blind Israel down a new path, guiding them along an unfamiliar way. I will brighten the darkness before them and smooth out the road ahead of them. Yes, I will indeed do these things; I will not forsake them. But those who trust in idols, who say, 'You are our gods,' will be turned away in shame."" (Isaiah 42:10-17) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment