Monday, April 23, 2018

"Detectable"

"They compass me about also with words of hatred; and fought against me without a cause."
(Psalms 109:3)

  Don't you detect a little bit of the pattern? If there is one thing that makes sense in all of this, it is that David feels a little like what Jesus must have felt, having been rejected and hated by His own people. Pastor Bryan was trying to make this point yesterday, how Jesus knew the hearts of those all around Him. He knew what really made people follow Him, and He knew what drove those that hated Him. John 2:24 & 25 says, "But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men, and needed not that any should testify of man; for he knew what was in man." Man's desire is to gain something, whether stature or possessions; those that looked for a sign did so for the sake of being satisfied by what they saw; but seeing is really not believing, because it will always require more to be seen. I know I shared this before, at least I should have; but I heard someone say how the devil will always speak to our sight, but God always speaks to our hearing. That might be why Jesus kept saying to the churches, "He who has an ear, let him hear." There is a lot of noise out there to fill our heads, but God's word works on our hearts, the center of our existence and all that we are. If we could just listen with intention, maybe we could begin to start putting some of what we hear to good use. To listen just for the sake of having knowledge does not do anyone any good. (I am preaching to myself here, of that I am pretty sure.) The point I was trying to make about Jesus having been treated unfairly His whole life, it pretty much started before He was even born; and even at His birth, He was born in a stable. Is that any way to treat a King? How about the Lord? He gave it all away to gain the whole world; fame and fortune, dignity and reputation, stature and position; all for the sake of you and me. You won't find that quality in the hearts of man; that is what He saw...

""They would not be guilty if I had not come and spoken to them. But now they have no excuse for their sin. Anyone who hates me also hates my Father. If I hadn't done such miraculous signs among them that no one else could do, they would not be guilty. But as it is, they have seen everything I did, yet they still hate me and my Father. This fulfills what is written in their Scriptures: 'They hated me without cause.'" (John 15:22-25) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment