Monday, February 5, 2018

"Reliability"

"Their enemies also oppressed them, and they were brought into subjection under their hand."
(Psalms 106:42)

 It really could not be much clearer than this. "Subjection" is a word that speaks of being made humble, as in, to bow the knee, or to be brought low. Whether or are willing to or not, every knee will bow down to Christ Jesus, one way or another. Therefore, it is best to choose to be willing! I say to choose to be willing, because sometimes we think we are willing, but there are things we hold onto in our lives that stop us from being totally willing; but if we choose to be willing, then the Lord will work many of those things out of our life. It might sting a little bit; it could also get a little messy; but what is a little pain and ugliness compared to an eternity in hell? Yesterday we were in 2 Samuel 11& 12; that point in David's life where everything seemed to begin to go downhill. If you don't know the story, it was that hour in his life when he felt entitled to the wife of Uriah the Hittite. Pastor Bryan made a pretty good point about his feeling of entitlement; not too many will be wiling to explore that side of David's fall. We hear how David was in the wrong place, or that he was alone at home when he should have been out in the battle; but feeling entitled to sin, that is a subject of the real power of the flesh, this flesh that is so willing to be pleased, no matter the cost. Personally, I believe that this was part of what caused Adam to fall, the feeling of entitlement. It was part of what the serpent used to persuade Eve, saying, "For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." The feeling of being entitled is pretty much us saying, 'I deserve this, regardless what anyone says, I think that I have earned it.' Maybe that might not sound like such a big deal to you, but it is to me. If you knew my situation, having been forced into abstinence for the last fourteen and a half years, I sometimes feel as through I am entitled to pleasure myself. Not something that I care to talk about, but I think that I understand how feeling entitled must feel like. About now, you might be wondering about the title, "Reliability". Based upon the source, God's holiness and power is not something that we control. We do not control the amount of accountability in our relationship with God, as much as we might think that we do. We cannot just flip a switch and somehow be free to do whatever it is that we want, because God is always right there, watching and seeing everything that we do, even the thoughts and intentions of our hearts. This is why David said, "I have sinned against the LORD," because he forgot in his moment of pleasure the holiness and power of his God. How can you count on God when you need Him, if you fail to acknowledge His presence when you don't want Him around...

"O LORD, you have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit down or stand up. You know my thoughts even when I am far away. You see me when I travel and when I rest at home. You know everything I do. You know what I am going to say even before I say it, LORD. You go before me and follow me. You place your hand of blessing on my head. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too great for me to understand! I can never escape from your Spirit! I can never get away from your presence!" (Psalms 139:1-7) NLT


No comments:

Post a Comment