Wednesday, February 14, 2018

"God Rescues Us"

PSALMS 107

 What I can't understand, God gives me understanding in part, and the part He gives me the understanding in, it is enough to carry me through. We really do not need to know the whole picture, because the faith and trust that God wants in us is always based upon the unknown parts of what we do know. This Psalm is one the the few Psalms in my Bible that have been marked up from the start to the finish. It is marked up in black ink, which tells me that it is most likely from within the last fifteen years or so; when it was exactly, I really do not remember. Something that is marked up as much as this is, probably should have been dated. The title of this post is the title for this Psalm from my Bible. It causes me to stop for a moment and remember all the times when God did actually do what is stated in this title. There are more times than I can remember, because some the times when He rescued me were squandered. I hope that at least some of you can get what I am talking about, because it is way too personal to get into. In a nutshell, the children of Israel were rescued time and time again; they are the perfect example of that which I do not care to talk about. God rescued them, they failed to take advantage of the new start, ended up back in another situation, cried out, and God rescued them again; and so it goes, on and on and on. You would think that after so many times of failing that they would understand their need to surrender; but our faith is never really as strong as we think that it is. As a matter of fact, the stronger we think that our faith is, the quicker we find out that its not. You know that old adage, "The bigger they are, the harder they fall," I am pretty sure that is talking about ego, not size. I think that it is best to stay as humble as you can possibly be, that way, when you do fall or get humbled, the fall isn't that far from where you were. Sadly, I don't think that we have it in us to stay humbled; as soon as we get some sort of elevation, we tend to want to hang out there. There is always a stairway to the top, but the way down is usually an express elevator...

"My child, never forget the things I have taught you. Store my commands in your heart. If you do this, you will live many years, and your life will be satisfying. Never let loyalty and kindness leave you! Tie them around your neck as a reminder. Write them deep within your heart. Then you will find favor with both God and people, and you will earn a good reputation. Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding." (Proverbs 3:1-5) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment