Saturday, May 20, 2017

"The Castaway"

"For the LORD will not cast off his people, neither will he forsake his inheritance." (Psalms 94:14)
I have not seen this coming, so please forgive me if I must say something bold and out of line. The Lord has said, "I will never leave you, nor forsake you," so why then do we get to a point now and then when we might feel alone? As I was thinking of that, I was reminded of what it was like as a child, those times when I felt alone, even though my parents were in the very next room. Yes, you have figured it out, right? It was those times when I felt ashamed over something that I had done. Maybe it was something that I had said, like saying, "I hate you," or "I wish I was never born." The kind of stuff that is hard to take back, and is usually not something a spanking will be used to erase; although, at the time, I think I had wished a spanking could have been administered, at least then I might not have felt so ashamed and alone; because the silence in the other room was killing me! Thinking back to it now, I believe the thing needed was for me to say that I was sorry and to ask for their forgiveness. No, more then that, I needed to plead for their forgiveness! That might not sound as though it relates to this verse, but from the vision the Lord has given me, it not only relates, it is the perfect picture for why we feel alone sometimes, as if the Lord has forsaken us. He has not, and will not forsake us! He said that He would not, so you can count on it being true. If we might feel alone and forsaken, then it's because we have somehow forsaken Him. There are many different ways that we could have done such a thing, and the easiest way is usually the hardest to admit. Maybe it was not even our fault, but merely a freak circumstance where we failed to speak up when we know that we should have spoken; or a chance encounter which we insisted to walk away from. Those are the kind of things we can hardly take back, because they usually don't happen again, at least not as it would in that moment. And yet, here we find ourselves, a castaway on some deserted island, as it were; as if the tide washed us there, or maybe we were shipwrecked, or went to sleep only to find ourselves washed up somewhere where we are alone and afraid. You know where this is going, I know that you do! You remember the original Willy Wonka movie, with the part where they were in the boat, all freaking out by the images and things that were being said; and all of the sudden, they were safe and secure, docked to the shore. Well, that can be our reality, with something said! Our mistakes are God's opportunities; we do not have to remain a castaway, because He is our refuge and strength, and He is only a pray away...
"What shall we say about such wonderful things as these? If God is for us, who can ever be against us? Since he did not spare even his own Son but gave him up for us all, won't he also give us everything else? Who dares accuse us whom God has chosen for his own? No one -for God himself has given us right standing with himself. Who then will condemn us? No one -for Jesus Christ died for us and was raised to life for us, and is sitting in the place of honor at God's right hand, pleading for us." (Romans 8:31-34) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment