Monday, May 22, 2017

"Out of Reach"

"Who will rise up for me against the evildoers? Or who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity?" (Psalms 94:16)
As I was praying over this mornings post, I could not help but think of David's inability to keep his own house in order. If you know the story, it would appear that his sin with Bathsheba had hindered either his judgment or his resolve; either way, he lacked the will to call out injustice within his own household. On the one hand, it ended up costing him the life of two sons, but on the other hand, it was pretty much the curse he had inherited. We often wonder how it is that God can allow bad things to happen to good people, as if there are really any of us that are actually good. Jesus was approached by someone, saying, "Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?" But Jesus answered, "Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." (Matthew 19:16-17) Obviously the man thought he had kept all the commandments because he answered that he had; but Jesus did not get into a discussion over that, he simply cut right to the point, that the man loved money above all else, even eternal life. How is it possible for a camel to go through the eye of a needle? I mean, if it were possible, how could it be done? Either it would need to be a very large needle, or a very small camel; but either way, Jesus summed it up by saying, "With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible." (Matthew 19:26) In reality, God just needs us to show up and be available; everything else is all up to Him. If anyone lacks what it takes to make a difference for God, it's not because God does not want to use your life, it's because you really don't think you are worthy enough to be used, or you don't really want to be. What could possibly be holding you back? Fear of giving up what you have is the primary reason; it was for the rich man who asked Jesus what good thing he should do for eternal life; he could not imagine what his life might be without all of his wealth. I can't begin to tell you how many times I have turned down the ministry to pursue building a business or because work was more important. When questioned, I always had an answer, as I still do now, saying, "I must care for my wife," and then I quote Paul's words from 1 Corinthians 7:32-33. Okay, I see that there is really none of us that are out of reach from God. If God would have us minister for Him, then He makes us His ministers, whether we like it or not; one way or another, you are going to get used for His Kingdom; whether your a brick in the wall, or the mortar, you are never really out of reach...
""Anyone who isn't with me opposes me, and anyone who isn't working with me is actually working against me. "So I tell you, every sin and blasphemy can be forgiven -except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, which will never be forgiven. Anyone who speaks against the Son of Man can be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, either in this world or in the world to come. "A tree is identified by its fruit. If a tree is good, its fruit will be good. If a tree is bad, its fruit will be bad. You brood of snakes! How could evil men like you speak what is good and right? For whatever is in your heart determines what you say. A good person produces good things from the treasury of a good heart, and an evil person produces evil things from the treasury of an evil heart. And I tell you this, you must give an account on judgment day for every idle word you speak. The words you say will either acquit you or condemn you."" (Matthew 12:30-37) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment