Thursday, March 19, 2015

"Servitude"

"Deliver me from mine enemies, O my God: defend me from them that rise up against me." (Psalms 59:1) As I was listening to a message yesterday, there was mention of Jesus washing the feet of the disciples, and the main point I heard from what little I caught, was that none on the disciples offered to wash His feet; Peter objected to Him washing his feet, but did not offer to wash his Master's feet. I thought that was a pretty interesting observation; and I wondered this morning how that applies to this verse, seeing that it came to my mind as I was praying over this post and what God would speak to me about. And then this happens! Four or five titles twirling around in my head, and out from behind all the them, this just comes out of nowhere: Servitude, the state of a person who is subjected, voluntarily or involuntarily, to another person as a servant. As we look to God for deliverance, it might be wise to consider on what grounds we are awarded such a request to begin with; I mean, I know that He is God, so that takes care of the need part; but what about the part that makes it His obligation to answer? Oh, yea, I forgot, because He is our Father that loves us, and will do everything that we ask, right? As I was thinking about the Prodigal Son, there was something that came to mind about a little thing that happened in his heart, in that he changed from the spoiled son into a willing servant (Luke 15:19). Am I God's servant? or am I like His hired worker? In other words, do I clock in and clock out whenever I want to, or whenever I have completed a particular task? That might work for an earthly employer, but I am not quite sure that it meets the qualifications of a servant of God! If God is my Master, and I His faithful servant, then yes, He will be obligated to deliver and defend me from anything that might come against me, because that is what a good master does for his servant; and our God is not just any good master, He is Thee Good Master! The other thing that I noticed about the Prodigal Son, is that he did not get the chance to say, Let me be as one of your servants, because his father stopped him right after he said, "I am no more worthy to be called thy son"; because the Father never loses the right of ownership. When the son or servant is reclaimed, it is not God that becomes the Father or their rightful owner, it is they that become His again... "He was in the world, and the world was made by Him, and the world knew Him not. He came unto His own, and His own received Him not. But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." (John 1:10-13)

No comments:

Post a Comment