Sunday, March 9, 2014

"Burnin' Out"

"LORD, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is; that I may know how frail I am." (Psalms 39:4) When it comes to knowing anything about this life, I am not quite sure I would want to know when I should die; I am already feeling as though the end of this journey is on it's way, I don't need to start counting the days that I have left. But in truth, wouldn't it be kind of interesting to know the year or maybe the month? Then you could at least get your house in order and prepare a little better for your journey to stand before the Lord; say like, do all the witnessing that you can those last few months of your life, and abstain from all things that do not glorify God for those last few months of your life; and of utmost importance, make sure that you have no unconfessed sins and that you are totally covered in the blood of Jesus Christ. All of those things would be good for when it's time to go, but we don't know the time of our departure, just like we don't know the time of Jesus' return; we are to be ready at all times, because it could happen at any time. However, I am not quite sure that David is speaking about actually knowing the day of his death, as much as he is speaking about knowing the frailty of this life; kind of like that old rock song, "Don't you know that you are a shooting star, Don't you know?" Because in relation to the number of our days, compared to the end of our days, this is just a flash of light across the sky; just a blip on the radar screen in comparison to our life after this life. This is to be our main concern for eternity, what must I do to prepare for heaven, not how much longer do I have to enjoy life in this world. Our days here are numbered, and in comparison to eternity with God, these days are a puff of smoke; here today, and gone tomorrow; so frail, and so quick to fade; all that we can do is to keep our eyes on the prize of heaven, and not worry about what happens here. I think it is more like David is saying, Lord, just keep me in the right frame of mind, so as I do not forget how short my days are here, and forget to remember about heaven. That can actually happen in our lives, so we must keep on guard; the cares of this life, especially when everything is going really well, and we are having so much fun, can cause us to take our focus off of heaven by getting caught up in the things of this world; just where the devil wants us to be... "Do ye think that the Scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy? But He giveth more grace. Wherefore He saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double-minded. Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He shall lift you up." (James 4:5-10)  

No comments:

Post a Comment