Wednesday, February 7, 2024

"Obviously!"

 "Jesus saith unto them, Come and dine. And none of the disciples durst ask him, Who art thou? knowing that it was the Lord." (John 21:12 KJV)

  ""And we apostles are witnesses of all he did throughout Judea and in Jerusalem. They put him to death by hanging him on a cross, but God raised him to life on the third day. Then God allowed him to appear, not to the general public, but to us whom God had chosen in advance to be his witnesses. We were those who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. And he ordered us to preach everywhere and to testify that Jesus is the appointed by God to be the judge of all - the living and the dead. He is the one the prophets testified about, saying that everyone who believes in him will have their sins forgiven through his name."" (Acts 10:39-43 NLT)

 Not to argue with anyone about this, but I feel as though Peter was staying out of sight as to respect Paul and his ministry in Rome; to not try to step in and take his place, as if he was the new leader of that church. That just my opinion, because he truly did respect Paul and his writings! 

 If you were wondering why this catchy title is, as it were, accentuated, it is because there is obviously a reason that the disciples didn't ask him, "Who art thou?" Friends know who their friends really are! Jesus came as their friend, asking them to dine with Him, was the thing friends do, after a table is set for eating! 

 Matthew Henry adds a little twist to this, using the one thing that Jesus said, which caused many of His followers to turn away: "The call Christ gives his disciples into communion with him in grace here. All things are now ready; Come, and dine. Christ is a feast; come dine upon him; his flesh is meat indeed, his blood drink indeed. Christ is a friend; come, dine with him, he will bid you welcome."...

[Young Man] "I have entered my garden, my treasure, my bride! I gather myrrh with my spices and eat honeycomb with my honey. I drink wine with my milk." [Young Women of Jerusalem] "Oh, lover and beloved, eat and drink! Yes, drink deeply of your love!" (SONG OF SONGS 5:1 NLT) 

No comments:

Post a Comment