Sunday, May 2, 2021

"The KING of Israel"

 "Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile! Nathanael saith unto him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him, Before that Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee. Nathanael answered and said unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God: thou art the King of Israel." (John 1:47-49 KJV)

  "Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his Anointed, saying, Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us. He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the LORD shall have them in derision. Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure. Yet have I set my King upon my holy hill of Zion. I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee." (Psalms 2:1-7 KJV)

  Real and powerful, two words that come to mind as I read this encounter and hear the words spoken between two men, one that is the seeker, the other, Him whom he sought! I know, here I go again, reading into the word, and speculating what is being said, even though the word is silent. But is it really? I know it is telling a story, one that is a little odd, but must have happened: but looking at this from the point of what is being said, it is indicating that there was something they knew of one another.

  Let me tell what I think, and then you can make yourself have some sort of opinion. First of all, this word, "Guile," is pretty interesting, as you might know, Jacob was named that because of deceit, as he caught hold of heal of his brother in childbirth. Yet, as you should also know, his name was later changed by the Lord, technically and physically, the Lord changed his name to Israel. 

  Oddly enough, there is more to this story, which is soon to come; but for now, I will keep this focus upon Jesus and Nathanael. For Jesus to say, "an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile," then he would have had nothing to hide and have been seeking the truth; much would be the case of anyone that is governed by God, that they would there is nothing hidden from His sight.

  Totally speculation, but I would imagine that Nathanael was sitting under that fig tree and was reading from and studying the Scriptures; if that were even possible, which I believe that it was, especially if it had been a Psalm, which was written for singing from. Based upon his answer to what Jesus said of him, in my opinion, it was probably Psalms 2 that he was reading from, which was what he based his realization upon, "thou art the Son of God, thou art the King of Israel." 

  Anywho, that is my observation, and I think that I will stick to it. Besides that, I think it is rather interesting that Nathanael had made that comment to Philip, "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Another way we might look at this, is that this proves he was a truth seeker. Matthew Henry says, "His caution was commendable, that he did not lightly assent to every thing that was said, but took it into examination; our rule is, Prove all things." 

  Whether you might know it or not, that is our rule, whether is be known or unknown, it is all able to be proven by the Word of God...

"Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. Quench not the Spirit. Despise not prophesying. Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Abstain from all appearance of evil. And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." (1 Thessalonians 5:16-23 KJV)  

No comments:

Post a Comment