Saturday, May 8, 2021

"A Mother's Intuition"

 "And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine. Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come. His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it." (John 2:3-5 KJV) 

  ""Where did you gather all this grain today?" Naomi asked. "Where did you work? may the LORD bless the one who helped you!" So Ruth told her mother-in-law about the man in whose field she had worked. She said, "The man I worked with today is named Boaz." "May the LORD bless him!" Naomi told her daughter-in-law. "He is showing his kindness to us as well as to your dead husband. That man is one of our closest relative, one of our family redeemers." Then Ruth said, "What's more, Boaz even told me to come back and stay with his harvesters until the entire harvest is complete." "Good!" Naomi exclaimed. "Do as he said, my daughter. Stay with his young women right through the whole harvest. You might be harassed in other fields, but you'll be safe with him."" (Ruth 19-22 NLT) 

  As Matthew Henry so eloquently says, "There was want at the marriage feast." Something to think about, on so many levels! Let's see, there was want of the guest, as they wanted more wine; there was want of the master of ceremonies, to satisfy the guests; there was want of the servants, that they might have something to serve to the guests; and there was want of Mary, the mother of Jesus! 

  What, pray tell, was she wanting Jesus to do? Maybe she thought he could go the the local liquor store, with His five buddies, and pick up a few cases of wine? Maybe she imagined Him knowing there was someone close by that a wagon filled with wine? Maybe, as I suspect, she wanted to see a miracle, and she knew He could pull it off! 

  When you look at the word, "intuition," there are some interesting stories behind what that word means and especially when it comes to mothers. A real good and simple meaning, one that fits the story here today, is this: "A thing that one knows or considers likely from instinctive feeling rather than conscious reasoning." 

  As reported within the Scriptures, this is the first miracle that Jesus would perform; so how did Mary know that Jesus was able to do something for the people's want? She obviously felt pretty sure of her instinctive feeling; otherwise she would not have told the servant to do whatever Jesus said, saying, "Do whatever he tells you." 

  It does not tell us what His brothers might have thought, if they were even aware she had said anything to Jesus or the servants; but from the end of this story, it is quite obvious that His brothers were there. I really like the NLT version of His reply, "Dear woman, that's not our problem. My time has not yet come." 

  It reminds me of how eagles teach their young how to fly, by knocking them out of the nest...

"But Rebekah overheard what Isaac had said to his son Esau. So when Esau left to hunt for wild game, she said to he son Jacob, "Listen, I overheard your father say to Esau, 'Bring me some wild game and prepare me a delicious meal. Then I will bless you in the LORD'S presence before I die.' Now, my son, listen to me. Do exactly as I tell you. Go out to the flocks, and bring me two fine goats. I'll use them to prepare your father's favorite dish. Then take the food to your father so he can eat it and bless you before he dies." "But look," Jacob replied to Rebekah, "my brother, Esau, is a hairy man, and my skin is smooth. What if my father touches me? He'll see that I'm trying to trick him, and then he'll curse me instead of bless me." But his mother replied, "Then let the curse fall on me, my son! Just do what I tell you. Go out and get the goats for me!"" (Genesis 27:5-13 NLT)  

No comments:

Post a Comment