Sunday, September 15, 2019

"Representation"

"They that make them are like unto them: so is every one that trusteth in them." (Psalms 135:18)

  I have got to say, I have been waiting for this morning with great anticipation! Enough with the 'Tion' words; right? The 'Tioning' is over, because after this, there is such great cause for celebration! Ok, maybe I spoke too soon. This is something that we must all take into serious consideration: God will not be mocked; when He says, "You shall have no other gods before me," it is not a suggestion! I which I didn't have to say it, but it's not even a recommendation! It is a commandment; a basic rule that must be followed, if you want to live! I don't know how you might react to this, because it might be me just going out on a limb; but I think that Adam and Eve worshipped an idol before they actually fell. The Bible does not say whether or not Eve added, "neither shall ye touch it," to her statement about eating of the Tree, or if it was something that Adam said to her; but either way, the thing that was forbidden was something that became an idol; at least it was to Eve. What was she doing at the Tree? And why was Adam there with her? Was it some form of worship? I just saying; there is something about this, as well as the curses that were handed down, that make it all too familiar to the verse we are looking at this morning. The thing that God commended them not to eat from, it became something sacred and more than just forbidden; it became a god! Maybe we need to backup just a bit and explore what that actually means. If you have anything, anything means everything, that you put any kind of trust in, more than you trust in God, then you have in fact made that something of a god to you. The point of that is quite simple: Eve's desire to eat, was based upon the trust she had in the fruit to give her more than God was offering. In layman's terms, she trusted the fruit more than God! What is it that makes her out to be? A Fool! We just read several verses that described what idols are and what they cannot do; which pretty much means that it is absolutely foolish to worship them, let alone but any kind of trust in them; so that would make them foolish, and anyone that puts there trust in them, out to be a fool...

"He burns part of the tree to roast his meat and to keep himself warm. He says, "Ah, that fire feels good." Then he takes what's left and makes his god: a carved idol! He falls down in front of it, worshiping and praying to it. "Rescue me!" he says. "You are my god!" Such stupidity and ignorance! Their eyes are closed, and they cannot see. Their minds are shut, and they cannot think. The person who made the idol never stops to reflect, "Why, it's just a block of wood! I burned half of it for heat and used it to bake my bread and roast my meat. How can the rest of it be a god? Should I bow down to worship a piece of wood?" The poor, deluded fool feeds on ashes. He trusts something that can't help him at all. Yet he cannot bring himself to ask, "Is this idol that I'm holding in my hand a lie?"" (Isaiah 44:16-20) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment