Sunday, December 11, 2016

"United By Love"

"Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name." (Psalms 86:11)
Call me crazy, but is it harder to love God or fear Him? What about what John says in 1 John 4:18, "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love." I am under the understanding that we cannot love God the way that we should, because God's love is the perfect love; our love is always built upon conditions and is shallow; compared with God's love, our love is superficial. So what do we do? Well, first of all, the word "fear" in the way David uses it, actually means to have fear, or to be afraid; dreadfully afraid is more like it, a godly fear. However, the good news, if you would like to call it that, is that this dreadful fear is followed by "thy name." What's in a name, you might wonder? Understanding for one; the name is what we understand God to be. A better way to put it, is to look at John's next statement after "He that feareth is not made perfect in love." "We love him, because he first loved us." Do I deserve His love? Absolutely not! But, nonetheless, He loves me! So my understanding of God, is that He loves me, and He loves me so much, that He sent His Only Son to come and die for my sins! Does that make me afraid? Of myself, yes, but not of God! I'm afraid for what I am, compared to what I should be. After all, He gave His all for me; you would think that I could at least put a little effort into giving my all for Him. I am dreadfully afraid of what I can be; but when I look at God, I am made blameless in the shadow of His love for me. God's love is bigger than you or I could ever need; and if I could just have a piece of it, then I could learn to love others as I love myself. That's why Jesus put those two commands together, because they are one love...
""I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one -as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me. I have given them the glory you gave me, so they may be one as we are one. I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me."" (John 17:20-23) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment