Saturday, December 10, 2016

"The One and Only"

"For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: thou art God alone." (Psalms 86:10)
We might not always get the full picture, but what He gives us is enough to make up our minds. Do we actually need a sign? Not in the least; our salvation is sign enough! Isn't that what faith is all about? It's not about a sign or asking God to prove anything. It's about believing with all of hearts that God's word is true, and then living as though you believe it. If we don't have what it takes, it's only because we have not asked Him hard enough to take stuff away. You have got to mean business if you are going to really tear down any strongholds; because it's not just about habits, it's about making Him Lord of your life. Remembering how this Psalms is actually more than just a prayer, it's a cry for help; and because it's a cry for help, we must have the desire within us to be helped. Now, what it is that makes the desire to be helped stronger that the desire to sin, that's something we all should be very familiar with, because it is all about love. Do I love Him enough to change my life? Not on my own! I can't change anything; it is God who must change me; He is the only one that can change our hearts. Only He can change a heart of stone into a heart that is filled with love. That is the one thing about the story that Jesus gave regarding prayer, we have got to be persistent! We keep on asking, keep on seeking, and keep on knocking, because the work is never really done! Our filling of the Holy Spirit is always renewed, day by day, we continually asked to be filled; not just to be partly filled, but filled to overflowing; so much so, that there is no more room for anything else. It's not going to be easy, because there will be difficulties and oppositions from all sides; but the only side that really matters in our own inside, the heart! Do you see where I am going? The point of this is very simple, because love comes in all sorts of different sizes and shapes; but one true love has only one! In Revelation 2:4, Jesus speaking to the church of Ephesus, says, "Nevertheless, I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love." I have always figured that to be based upon the feeling I had when I first got saved. Maybe it was a sermon I heard, or something I made up on my own; but I have always just figured it meant that we fell out of love with that first experience, the day we asked Jesus into our hearts. It's not about any of that: It's about loving Him first, above all else...
"One of the teachers of religious law was standing there listening to the debate. He realized that Jesus had answered well, so he asked, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?" Jesus replied, "The most important commandment is this: 'Listen O Israel! The LORD our God is the one and only LORD. And you must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength. The second is equally important: Love you neighbor as yourself. No other commandment is greater than these." The teacher of the law replied, "Well said, Teacher. You have spoken the truth by saying that there is only one God and no other. And I know it is important to love him with all my heart and all my understanding and all my strength, and to love my neighbor as myself. This is more important than to offer all of the burnt offerings and sacrifices required in the law." Realizing how much the man understood, Jesus said to him, "You are not far from the Kingdom of God." And after that, no one dared to ask him any more questions." (Mark 12:28-34) NLT 

No comments:

Post a Comment