Friday, December 30, 2016

"Can't Go That Low"

"Thy wrath lieth hard upon me, and thou hast afflicted me with all thy waves. Selah." (Psalms 88:7)
There are certain things that might cause us to feel remorse, and then there are those things that we might simply shrug off, as if they are only who we are or part of growing up in the Lord. For me, my words matter more than anything else. Things that I say when I am angry, or things I say but don't say, if you know what I mean. There is really nothing that makes me feel like dirt more, than not saying something when it needs to be spoken, like saying, 'I love you' to someone that you care for and appreciate having around. How else do we express our love and affection? James has a way of putting it that makes more sense, "Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessings and cursing." I am sorry, but there are some things that require a word or two to be spoken. There are some things that need to be reconciled or patched up between us. That was one of the few things that I agreed within my little time I spent in A.A., was the part about making an effort to clear up issues with others, especially those that you might have offended. The meaning of "wrath" in the verse about, although it speaks of anger or displeasure, it also speaks of poison, as in something you would drink: "let him drink the wrath of the Almighty." The thing about drinking poison, is that it is something that could have been avoided. I know that sounds way to easy, but in reality, there is nothing as simple as giving everything over to the Lord, even those things that you can do nothing about, especially those things! Let me help you to see how this verse is actually not all that bad; actually, it is quite beautiful. Looking at this from a perspective of our need to God's cleansing and righteousness, the poison is more the light illuminating our transgressions and our sins; it is only poison because there is dirt within us, much like bacteria reacts to hydrogen peroxide. The "afflicted" part of this is more about making us humble; more than just actually causing us to bow down on our own, it's more about being forced down by the sheer righteousness and glory of God. Just when you think that it's over, it's not! We can never reach that point of righteousness to equal the righteousness of Almighty God, ever! So explains the "waves" which wash in and out of the shores of our lives; waves of that poison which causes that dirt in our lives to fizzle up, showing us more cleansing needs to be done; causing us to be humbled by the sheer light of the Lord. So, whether you actually realize it or not, it's really refreshing to experience this type of cleansing. Think of the ocean waves rolling in and out; all of that foam...
"As the deer longs for streams of water, so I long for you, O God. I thirst for God, the living God. When can I go and stand before him? Day and night I have only tears for food, while my enemies continually taunt me, saying, "Where is this God of yours?" My heart is breaking as I remember how it used to be: I walked among the crowds of worshipers, leading a great procession to the house of God, singing for joy and giving thanks amid the sound of a great celebration! Why am I so discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again -my Savior and my God! Now I am deeply discouraged, but I will remember you -even from distant Mount Hermon, the source of the Jordan, from the land of Mount Mizar. I hear the tumult of the raging seas as your waves and surging tides sweep over me. But each day the LORD pours his unfailing love upon me, and through each night I sing his songs, praying to God who gives me life. "O God my rock," I cry, "Why have you forgotten me? Why must I wander around in grief, oppressed by my enemies?" There taunts break my bones. They scoff, "Where is this God of yours?" Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again -my Savior and my God!" (Psalms 42) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment