Tuesday, December 13, 2016

"Anywho"

"For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell." (Psalms 86:13)
Not that being yanked up from the fires of hell is not something to be thankful for, because it is; but God's love is what made it all possible. Why me? That's the amazing part of this great mystery. Since I was a small child I had always believed that God existed, but I did not really know how much He loved me. I believed that we where created, and I believed that there was a God somewhere up there in the heavens who watched over us; but I did not think that He personally watched over me, nor that He actually cared all that much about me. Not until that Sunday morning in September 1981, because on the day, I saw how much He loved me, for the very first time! As far as this life is concerned, it really does not matter what happens here. We always hope for the best in whatever we do, but it's really not what matters the most. Heaven is what matters! Paul was very explicit in his example of all the things that cannot separate us from the love of God; and somewhere in that list we find ourselves! Yes, that's right; me, my own worst enemy; even I cannot undue what Christ has done! My name is written in the Lamb's Book of Life; and not only that, but He, the Lamb of God, has sealed it there with His blood. There is nowhere I can hide, or nothing that I can do, to take the place of what has taken place; it's done! I guess we could call that eternal security, if that's what you like; but the crazy thing about that, is that it's secure in heaven, somewhere way out of my reach; I couldn't reach up and take it back, even if I wanted to. When I study this verse, I get the sense that David is thinking of his greatest sin; as he penned this verse, his greatest sin comes to mind, and he references it as "the lowest hell." That's what hell could mean in this reference, "of extreme degradation in sin." Paul had some reference to this also, as he referenced himself as the Chief of Sinners. One could only imagine what was going through David's mind and heart, thinking about his loyal servant who he put to death. Or better yet, thinking about his Messiah who would come and pay the price for that sin...
"I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength to do his work. He considered me trustworthy and appointed me to serve him, even though I used to blaspheme the name of Christ. In my insolence, I persecuted his people. But God had mercy on me because I did it in ignorance and unbelief. Oh, how generous and gracious our Lord was! He filled me with the faith and love that come from Christ Jesus. This is a trustworthy saying, and everyone should accept it: "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners" -and I am the worst of them all." (1 Timothy 1:12-15) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment