Tuesday, June 21, 2016

"Continuity"

"For all this they sinned still, and believed not for his wondrous works." (Psalms 78:32) Hopefully I did not lose any respect sharing some of my weakness; we all have them, some more than others; and just so you know, God's hates the sin of sowing discord, more than that one I mentioned the other day. I have a star next to this verse in my Bible; it's in black, so it is most likely from within the last 15 years; although I don't recall why I marked it. But, I do know that works and wonders are not what changes a man's heart; so maybe it has something to do with that. Do you know why Jesus was referred to as "The Word of God?" We know that He was the Word, because John uses that description in the opening of his gospel; but why was He called the Word? The actual word John uses is 'Logos.' In the Strong's, the definition that best suits John's meaning is "the Divine Expression" and is broken down in this manner: "In John, denotes the essential Word of God, Jesus Christ, the personal wisdom and power in union with God, his minister in creation and government of the universe, the cause of all the world's life both physical and ethical, which for the procurement of man's salvation put on human nature in the person of Jesus the Messiah, the second person in the Godhead, and shone forth conspicuously from His words and deeds." I know that is a lot to take in, but it's essential that we understand how that factors into John 6:32-58, where Jesus describes Himself as "The Bread of Life." Many of His disciple stopped following Him that day; mostly because they just could not get the connection. Even the twelve did not get it, but they still hung in there, saying, "Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the Living God." You see, there is a difference between what you know to be true and what you think that you know. Signs and wonders are things that you think that you know; meaning, you know what you saw, but you really don't know how it was done. But the Word, now that is something entirely different; because you really don't need to know everything in order to know it to be true; nor could you ever know everything that there is to know, but you can still know all truth... "Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, Moses didn't give you bread from heaven. My Father did. And now he offers you the true bread from heaven. The true bread of God is the one who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world." "Sir," they said, "give us that bread every day." Jesus replied, "I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry again. Whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. But you haven't believed in me even though you have seen me. However, those the Father has given me will come to me, and I will never reject them. For I have come down from heaven to do the will of God who sent me, not to do my own will. And this is the will of God, that I should not lose even one of all those that he has given me, but that I should raise them up at the last day. For it is my Father's will that all who see his Son and believe in him should have eternal life. I will raise them up at the last day. Then the people began to murmur in disagreement because he said, "I am the bread that came down from heaven." They said, "Isn't this Jesus, the son of Joseph? We know his father and mother. How can he say, 'I came down from heaven'?"" (John 6:32-42) NLT    

No comments:

Post a Comment