Thursday, June 30, 2016

"Compassionate God"

"For he remembered that they were but flesh; a wind that passeth away, and cometh not again." (Psalms 78:39) I guess you could say that I am someone who enjoys a challenge; if you want to call staying the course a challenge, because some might think it madness. But let me tell you something you might not realize about me, I love being stretched, because when we are stretched we discover new limits. Those limits go but ways, I hope that you know; both to sadness and to gladness; both to victory and to defeat; from being strong and able, to weak and useless. On the one hand, we are strong like the wind; on the other, we are as weak as the dust the wind blows. Not that it is any news to anyone, but eternal life is really a very long time; and compared to this life here on this earth, this time here is but a flicker, a single snapshot in time; as if time would really matter anymore. Do you understand how this works? I want to think that I understand it, but I find myself sometimes so attached to living, that I forget that I am actually dying. Yesterday, as I was eating out, I observed an elderly couple eating their Mexican dinner and sipping on their margaritas. You could tell that they were tired, just by the way they moved and communicated with each other; they had to have been at least in their eighties, and were still glad to share each others company. But it must be difficult to live in that time of life together, not knowing who will go first, or when that might happen. I experience something like that myself, but not on the same level as they might. There are mornings when I wake, not sure if Marianne is still with us; she can get so relaxed and in such a deep sleep, I need to check her vital signs to make sure she is not dead. But, it's not up to me; I get that. Imagine how God sees us, being the one who created us in the first place. He has got to feel our pain, He has got to see the sadness in our loses and experience the moment of sorrow we experience. I know that He does. But He sees us also in our new glorified bodies; bodies that will never die, will never be sick, will never be sad, ever again! Imagine how God sees us...
"Look here, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we are going to a certain town and will stay there a year. We will do business there and make a profit." How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog -it's here a little while, then it's gone. What you ought to say is, "If the Lord wants us to, we will live and do this or that." Otherwise you are boasting about your own plans, and all such boasting is evil. Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and the not do it." (James 4:13-17) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment