Wednesday, January 7, 2015

"The Sad Complaint"

"Attend unto me, and hear me: I mourn in my complaint, and make a noise;" (Psalms 55:2) Almost anything that is caused by our own foolish actions can cause us to mourn; I typically find myself mourning over the stupid things that I say almost every other day, saying to myself, I really wish that I had not said that. But the mourning David is speaking about here has a little deeper meaning; yet at the same time, it has no meaning whatsoever. I know you think that sounds kind of stupid, and maybe should be added to the list of things I wish I had not said; but the point of the matter is, that it is just a "noise", noise meaning that it is some kind of sound that is meant to be heard by a particular object: you slam on your brakes, and your tires screech; or in this case, you step on a mouse, and it makes a squealing sound. I know that might sound a little drastic, but David is really feeling down; not just because of what is happening to him, but more than that, because he has caused this to happen upon himself. Maybe you have not ever messed up enough to experience what I am trying to describe; because if you have, then you know what I am talking about. It is the kind of a mourn where you so desperately wish you could rejoice, but you can't, because you know your only getting what you deserve; therefore, the mourning that you are experiencing is more like feeling sorry for yourself, but at the same time, just wishing you were dead and that it would all be over; which, in that case, everything that your feeling is just a complaint to God for the punishment that you rightfully deserve, which is pretty sad. Looking back to what Peter was saying about "partakers of Christ's sufferings", being able to rejoice over such things is due to the fact that you are being wrongfully persecuted. It would be kind of like a Christian who breaks the law, ends up in jail, and then says, Praise the Lord, God has me here for a reason; yes, He does, it's called the consequences of your actions. Peter, on the other hand, was making the point, that if you do suffer for doing something wrong, then you should be grieved over it; but if you have not, then you should rejoice in your sufferings. Actually, the word "mourn" is more like a wandering about; you really don't know what you want, but you know that you want something; like oxen that have broken their yoke, and wonder freely, not knowing what to do next. In that case, the "complaint" is just a form of babbling; meaningless meditation is a good example given, just as Elijah said of Baal, He is so taken up with meditation that he cannot hear you (1 Kings 18:27); as if a god would need to be meditating to himself. That is the kind of complaint that has got to be the saddest noise that we can make; thus the squealing mouse example...
"For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God? And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? Wherefore, let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to Him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator." (1 Peter 4:17-19)

No comments:

Post a Comment