Friday, January 9, 2015

"The Great Restraint"

"My heart is sore pained within me: and the terrors of death are fallen upon me." (Psalms 55:4) Don't you think that David had days when fear was more than an illusion? It might be hard for some of us to comprehend what this might have felt like; first one of your favorite sons, and then a close personal friend, both of which have turned and are now trying to take your life; and the furthest thing from your mind is to kill them first. If there was one verse that could describe what Jesus was feeling those last hours of His life, then this would be the one. All the power that He had at His disposal, yet no thought or desire to even consider using any of it for relief. I don't know about you, but the first thing that I would is to have called down those ten thousand angels, especially when I was being torn apart by that scourging; but our Lord did not, neither did He raise His voice against those that were beating Him. Talk about restraint! I don't know what is harder, to not sin because I have the ability to sin, or to not defend myself even though I have the ability to do it. David could have stood up against Absalom, and because he did not, that might be why Ahithophel betrayed him; just a Judas was motivated to betray Jesus for pretty much the same reason. Jesus did not come as a conquering King, but as a Lamb to be slaughtered; something that Judas just could not understand; just as the devil cannot stand the thought of God's redemption towards man, so too Judas could not comprehend why the Messiah would come and lay down His life; opposing views are all the same, it really does not matter they are out of malice or ignorance. Maybe you can't see what it is that I am talking about; and if so, then let me try to enlighten you with this thought, which is the thought of becoming weak. I really don't know how else to describe it, except to try and illustrate what it might look like, or better yet, feel like, to deflate yourself of all power and might that you might have, and to become weak...
"Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. He that loveth his life shall lose it: and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. If any man serve Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there shall also My servant be: if any man serve Me, him will My Father honour. Now is My soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save Me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour. Father, glorify Thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again." (John 12:24-28)

No comments:

Post a Comment