Saturday, January 10, 2015

"The Fear To Die"

"Fearfulness and trembling are come upon me, and horror hath overwhelmed me." (Psalms 55:5) Maybe if I had started with verse 23, it would had made a better impact; but then again, Jesus being glorified by dying on a cross seems so wrong, that God would use something so ugly to display something so beautiful. Maybe it was the thought of taking on all the sins of the world; I can't even begin to imagine the pain involved with that, let alone the horror of imagining all of your sins being placed upon someone so perfect and humble. I have always figured that the hardest part of His death, was not the pain and the suffering, but the separation that He experience from the Father, having become sin; but I suddenly realized something else that might have had a greater impact upon His heart, that He would take our punishment, meaning that God's wrath for our sins would be placed upon Him. When you look at it that way, Jesus being glorified really does not seem it fit the picture, unless the picture describes God's love for us; then He is not only glorified, He is the glory of God's love being displayed for all to see, again and again! Every time we hear the story, every time we see the image of that cross displayed, the glory of God's love for us is presented; and for some, it is the only thing that will soften a hardened heart. What do you think that Saul, later called Paul, saw in his mind on that road to Damascus; was it the resurrected Jesus who had been lifted up in glory? or was it the image of Jesus that he and his fellow Jews had placed on that cross? Bam! Right in the heart! Like a dart of lightening had just brought a dead corpse to life! Now then, imagine that power required to generate the life giving jolt was like a slingshot; where it that slingshot being retracted towards? Yea, I know, I am weird like that; but I blame it on all the acid I took when I was a kid. Why do you think that David would be fearful of death? unless he had emptied himself of all of his strength? We are talking about a giant slayer; a mighty man of war; a man that had stared down death hundreds of time, and had done so without fear of anything but backing down; now all of the sudden he is overwhelmed by the terrors of death. When you empty yourself of all that you are, you are not the man that you were...
"Jesus cried and said, He that believeth on Me, believeth not on Me, but on Him that sent Me. And he that seeth Me seeth Him that sent Me. I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on Me should not hide in darkness. And if any man hear My words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. He that rejecteth Me, and receiveth not My words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day. For I have not spoken of Myself; but the Father which sent Me, He gave Me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. And I know that His commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto Me, so I speak." (John 12:44-50)

No comments:

Post a Comment