Sunday, January 11, 2015

"The Itch To Be Faint"

"And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! For then I would fly away, and be at rest." (Psalms 55:6) An interesting verse we have before us today; I wanted to use the word longing instead of itch, but it's not the right word for such a 'flighty feeling' that this verse describes. The idea is one of being able to become inconspicuous, thus the choice of a "dove" compared to that of an eagle or a another bird of strong flight; weak and gentle best describe the words meaning, like a feeble and gentle bird. Therefore, longing is more about something that is felt over a period of time, like a deep desire; while an itch, although it brings on a desire, it comes on and passes quickly, and it is easily satisfied. If you have ever had any kind of an itch like I am talking about, then you could relate to what I am saying. When my business was larger (something like sixteen employees and twelve trucks,) I would always keep a small red mechanic rag in my desk draw, and on those days when I was feeling fed up with everything, I would walk around with that rag in my back pocket. My wife always knew what it meant, and she would usually try and encourage to be patient; however, every once in awhile, she would say, Just fire everyone and do everything yourself! Wow, such wisdom; if only I had listened fifteen years ago, or even twenty; maybe I would have had more time to dedicate towards caring for her then, instead of the way things are today; today I am her Care Provider. What that little red rag stood for, was me saying that I would rather be pumping gas, than doing what I am doing now; and it was just an itch, not a longing; because truth be told, I really do like what I do, and God has blessed it, and keeps on blessing it, each and every day. That's why it's just an itch; that's why David is using this description the way that he is, because it's just an itch; because he really does enjoy being king, and he knows that God has placed him in the position; but right now, at this moment, and in these circumstances, he really just has "the itch to be faint"...
"And they came to a place which was named Gethsemane: and He said to His disciples, Sit ye here, while I shall pray. And He taketh with Him Peter and James and John, and began to be sore amazed, and to be very heavy; and saith unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful unto death: tarry ye here, and watch. And He went forward a little, and fell on the ground, and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from Him. And He said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto Thee; take away this cup from Me: nevertheless, not what I will, but what Thou wilt." (Mark 14:32-36)      

No comments:

Post a Comment