Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"The Love of Jesus" - 2

Now, just in case you missed it, Paul being the 'prisoner of the Lord' is not just a reference to the fact that he was in prison while writing this epistle, but in fact, I believe it had several different meanings. In the light of what Paul is talking about, the term prisoner is much the same as bond servant, or even to be held captive. Yes, he was in prison at the time of this writing, as well as Colossians and Philemon, and a few other letters that did not survive; but in giving place to the One who is in control of his life, it is in this regard that Paul is held prisoner. This could also be said of the fate Jesus looked to as He lived here among us; as one who lived His life in a certain way; being tempted, yet not walking in sin, that He might fulfill the task set before Him. In this regard, Jesus was a prisoner of the Love of the Father towards us; or, if you will, He was bound to die on the cross for our sins. Another aspect of being a 'prisoner of the Lord' is the fact that Paul is being held in prison for doing the Lord's work, to do the work of the Lord, and that the Lord would do a work; all of which are for God's glory and the ministry of Jesus Christ; but none being the result of chance or a mistake, but the will of God. That is the meaning which I expressed yesterday, that Paul was being held for the Lord's work to be complete in him; whereby Paul could say in his heart with all honesty, that ALL things work for the good, knowing that his circumstances are for no other reason than to give glory to God. So then, when is comes to our calling, or what we felt called to do for God, our most important task in the ministry of Jesus Christ is Love; loving our brothers and sisters more than the calling we feel God has put upon our hearts. This is not an easy subject, although it should be; because we are flesh and blood, we have a tendency to get caught up in the emotions of our hearts, as well as the racing of our minds; which, if you know what I am talking about, those are things which get us in trouble more times than not. I have been involved in ministry leadership for quite some time, and I can tell you without a doubt that we really do not know how weak we really are; as soon as we step outside the will of God, and as soon as we are no longer under the leading of the Holy Spirit, there is no telling what damage can be done to the church by a fleshly spirit (someone who wants their way). "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity (love), I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity (love), I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity (love), it profiteth me nothing." (1 Corinthians 13:1-3)

No comments:

Post a Comment