Thursday, July 1, 2010

"The Just Shall Live By Faith"

In Habakkuk 2:4, we see the other place in the Old Testament where the word 'faith' is found. In this portion of the Scriptures, Habakkuk is torn by his desire to know why God would allow an unrighteous people like the Chaldeans to punish men who were more righteous than them. In verse 2:1, Habakkuk says, "I will stand upon my watch, and set me upon the tower, and will watch to see what He will say unto me, and what I shall answer when I am reproved." This he says after God has responded to him in 1:5-11, and basically tells him that He has given those evil men the power that they have to conquest. So, in verses 1:12-2:4, Habakkuk is confused by God's response, and believes his complaint against God's choice to use such a people was justified as he states what he does in verse 2:1. Then in verse 2:2, God answers , "And the Lord answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it. For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry. Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: But the just shall live by his faith." This word for 'faith' is very similar to the other word for faith in the Old Testament; it is the word 'Emuwnah or Emunah', and it means firmness, steadiness, steadfastness, faithfulness, trust, honesty. It is used in the Psalms 22 of it's 49 times in the Old Testament, and has as its key idea faithfulness or certainty. It is especially important in expressing God's faithfulness. The Apostle Paul used this verse to express the importance of Faith being the justification for our salvation and not works. However, this particular word, has a deeper meaning than most would associate 'Faith' to mean; because it involves two levels of trust, honesty and steadfastness. It involves the level of God's position of being God, and that because He is God: We must trust Him, believe those things which He says, and we must know that He will complete those things which He has set out to do. It also involves a level of man's position to obey God; by being willing to trust Him, Believe Him, and to walk in a manor that would be considered steadfast. There is a special need to be steadfast in our lives as we follow God, and to express our trust in Him, for His plans for our lives, and to believe strong enough in His Word, that whoever is watching our lives, will not doubt that we believe it. This is particularly important with our children; because they are our church in a way. In other words; they will be watching your expression of faith in God through your trust in God to solve the family problems; through how you believe in the promises of His word, as you rest upon them in times of difficulty or distress; and most of all, they will be looking for steadfast leadership in pointing the way to the Truth. "When I heard, my belly trembled; my lips quivered at the voice: rottenness entered into my bones, and I trembled in myself, that I might rest in the day of trouble: when He cometh up onto the people, He will invade them with His troops. Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls: Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. The Lord is my strength, and He will make my feet like hinds feet, and He will make me walk upon high places. To the chief singer on my stringed instruments." (Habakkuk 3:16-19)

No comments:

Post a Comment