Thursday, December 21, 2017

"Cause and Effect"

"He turned their waters into blood, and slew their fish. There land brought forth frogs in abundance, in the chambers of their kings. He spake, and there came divers sorts of flies, and lice in all their coasts." (Psalms 105:29-31)
You know how that one thing might cause others, in a chain reaction of events; well this is a really good example of that chain reaction. It all started with the water being turned into blood; the fish had no choice, they were killed in great abundance, washing up on the shores and floating on the top of the river. The frogs however, they had a choice, they could leave the blood infested waters; and leave they did, by the millions. And what do you think was needed to clean up the mess, but flies, flies, and more flies! I remember watching this in the 50 year old movie, The Ten Commandments, the one with Charlton Heston. One thing would come upon the Egyptians, they would ask Moses to make it go away, and another thing would come to replace it, and they would ask Moses to make it go away, and another thing would come to replace it; each time, the replacement became more unbearable than the first; until they finally just said, "Enough!" Does it sound a little familiar? I remember when my wife and I were married; when we first met with the Pastors for our pre-marriage counseling, I had asked Pastor Jeff and Pastor Jack if we could have an alter call at the wedding. Both of them seemed a little apprehensive, but all of the sudden Pastor Mike and Pastor Dan were passing by the office and Jeff called for Mike to come in, saying to me, "Tell Pastor Mike what you just told us." So I did, and Pastor Mike was thrilled by the thought of doing an alter call at a wedding. So, Pastor Jeff said to my wife and I, "Here is the Pastor to marry you both." And Mike accepted; and Pastor Dan Marks, who was listening outside the door, agreed to perform the music at the wedding. He even said that he wrote a song, "He She Comes," for our particular wedding. Dan's wife choreographed the wedding for us, and helped to make it a very special event. So, July 31st, 1982, at Calvary Chapel of Downey, my wife and I were married; and Pastor Mike performed the ceremony by including an alter call, which was absolutely amazing. I had no idea how many people raised their hands, as during that part of the service my wife and I were knelt down praying with our backs to the crowd. We were taking communion, and it was at the part where we were getting ready to drink the wine. Pastor Mike gave a wonderful message about how Jesus changed the water to wine, and how it was His very first miracle; relating that very first miracle, to how He changes us, and how He had changed my wife and I, and how anyone there could be changed also. When he asked for the show of hands, I could hear him acknowledge them go up, but I could not see who they were; all that I could do, was to rejoice that there hands lifted. What I had even brought this up for, I really can't remember; except it had something to do with putting new wine into old wineskins; or something like that...
"Then Jesus gave them this illustration: "No one tears a piece of cloth from a new garment and uses it to patch an old garment. For then the new garment would be ruined, and the new patch wouldn't even match the old garment. "And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. For the new wine would burst the wineskins, spilling the wine and ruining the skins. New wine must be stored in new wineskins. But no one who drinks the old wine seems to want the new wine. 'The old is just fine,' they say.""
(Luke 5:36-39) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment