Saturday, September 19, 2015

"Turn or Burn"

"But God shall wound the head of his enemies, and the hairy scalp of such a one that goeth on still in his trespasses." (Psalms 68:21) If you were wondering where this title came from, it was already written in the space below this verse in my Bible. Not sure when I wrote it, but it was sometime after around 1996; or maybe even a little earlier. Regardless of when it was written, it has behind it the sense of urgency that needs to be considered not just at the time that it was written, but every time that it is looked upon. This thing we call being a Christian is not a religion; it is not based upon religiosity's or religiousness, keeping any sort of prescribed activities, or even the do's and don'ts of the law; it is based upon a personal relationship with our Lord and Savor Jesus Christ, and if you do not have that, then you are out of sorts! David gave a really good illustration of what "out of sorts" might look like in Psalms 32:3, saying, "When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long." Or in Psalms 38:3, as he cries, "There is no soundness in my flesh because of thine anger; neither is there any rest in my bones because of my sin." The biggest mistake that we can make is that of not surrendering; to think that somehow we can do something on our own, or get ourselves right and then turn back to God. Maybe it's from one of the old adages, "You got yourself into this, now get yourself out!" Which I think is something that my mother said, but I think it had more to do about human relationships, not my relationship with God. As much as we might think that we can, we cannot wipe away our own sins and trespasses! Too many churches have been handing out the wrong information, teaching people, now that Jesus has made you new, now it's up to you to keep yourself in good standing with God. It is always God's work in us! How many times do we need to learn that lesson? Only God can change our heart! Only the blood of Jesus can take away our sins! Do not be fooled again, it is all about surrender...
"I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn't produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more. You have already been pruned and purified by the message I have given you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me." (John 15:1-4) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment