Wednesday, September 2, 2015

"The Living God!"

"O God, when Thou wentest forth before Thy people, when Thou didst march through the wilderness; Selah: the earth shook, the heavens also dropped at the presence of God: even Sinai itself was moved at the presence of God, the God of Israel." (Psalms 68:7-8) I doubt you have seen all the miracles that the children of Israel witnessed in the wilderness, because nobody has; they witnessed God moving in their midst for forty years, and in that forty years, God did a whole lot of miracles. But, do you think that stopped them from complaining? Did all those miracles make them trust in God? Not so much! When Jesus was here, the Jews continually asked Him to show them a sign; yet Jesus was the sign they asked for, they just could not see it. I heard someone say on the radio yesterday, "If they could not believe without a sign, then they would not believe with one." Can we be satisfied with God's presence? or do we need Him to put on a show for us also? I love to see God do miracles, and I even ask Him to perform them; and every day I ask Him to perform at least one, which is for Him to heal my wife. But I do not need to see any miracles in order to believe that He is God Almighty; I can see His power and might in the way that He moves in my life, in the way that He speaks into my heart, and in the way that He unfolds His beauty and love through His Word; His Word that is not only straight from His heart into mine, but it is alive, always fresh, and dealing with new areas of my life; areas I never even knew I needed work in, God continually shows me how much I need Him in my life. I guess what I am trying to say, is that it really isn't about seeing what God can do around you that counts, it's what He does in you, that is the lasting sign... "That is why the Holy Spirit says, "Today when you hear his voice, don't harden your hearts as Israel did when they rebelled, when they tested me in the wilderness. There your ancestors tested and tried my patience, even though they saw my miracles for forty years. So I was angry with them, and I said, 'Their hearts always turn away from me. They refuse to do what I tell them.' So in my anger I took an oath: 'They will never enter my place of rest.'" Be careful then, dear brothers and sisters. Make sure that your own hearts are not evil and unbelieving, turning you away from the Living God. For if we are faithful to the end, trusting God just as firmly as when we first believed, we will share in all that belongs to Christ. Remember what it says: "Today when you hear his voice, don't harden your hearts as Israel did when they rebelled."" (Hebrews 3:7-15) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment