Sunday, May 25, 2014

"This Life..."

"I will say unto God my Rock, Why hast Thou forgotten me? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?" (Psalms 42:9) It's not that God has forgotten, or even that He has stepped away, because He is our Rock, and because He is, He does not move; because He is our stronghold, and a shelter in our time of need; which means that He is the place where we run to, and where we are always safe and secure; which is why David begs to ask the second question, "Why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?" It's a good question to ask ourselves, as we find ourselves hanging our heads and crying over something that is not significant enough to harm our eternal security; especially when all that we need to do is run to the Father of our soul and be strengthened. The better questions to be asking, are, Why have I forgotten You, O God? why have I forgotten Your promises? why have I forgotten how much You love me? and why do I let this life get to me, over and over again? Maybe I get too comfortable and begin to be satisfied by the things in this world; things which really do not last, nor do they supply me with any sort of peace, at least not the kind of peace that makes me sleep well at night. All these things will be consumed in the fire, and I sure want to make sure that I am not too attached to them, least I get a little taste of that fire! But this life has a tendency to pull me in, trapping me in getting comfortable with living here, if not just long enough to feel a little smothered; then I begin to realize that there is something wrong, asking, "Why hast Thou forgotten me, O God, my Rock?" While all along, I am the one that has gotten forgetful of where I am, and I have forgotten how to run to the Rock of my salvation, because I am holding on to too much of this world. Jesus said, "He that loveth his life shall lose it: and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal" (John 12:25). Really, the enemy can only oppress us if we have our focus upon the things of this world; he surely cannot take away our salvation or our eternal life that is waiting for us in heaven, so then, if we focus upon that which he cannot touch, there is nothing to be oppressed over, nor does it really matter what he does to me; even death offers a sweet release... "Simon Peter said unto Him, Lord, whither goest Thou? Jesus answered him, Whither I go, thou canst not follow Me now; but thou shalt follow Me afterward. Peter said unto Him, Lord, why cannot I Thee now? I will lay down my life for Thy sake. Jesus answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for My sake? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, The cock shall not crow till thou hast denied Me thrice. Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto Myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know." (John 13:36-14:4)

No comments:

Post a Comment