Wednesday, May 21, 2014

"Going In Deep"

"Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of Thy waterspouts: all Thy waves and Thy billows are gone over me." (Psalms 42:7) What sets the standard for our life? Is it the Word of God, or is it the world? I am sure that you have seen the bumper sticker that shows a fish swimming against the flow of the other fish, although I have not seen one in a while; but it is really the perfect picture of what we should look like compared with the rest of the world; if we are going with the flow, then most assuredly we are not going in the right direction, and the Word of God is not what is directing our lives. Which makes me wonder about what my life should look like when it comes to living for Jesus; am I just trying to get along and not make any waves, or am I making a difference for the kingdom of God? Better yet, can I honestly say that my life is a living sacrifice unto God? Oh, that hurt a little! It is kind of like fasting, but on a much more permanent fashion, that we have a life that denies the flesh all the things which cause us to not live our lives for the Lord; whereas, the simple act of our denying the flesh, makes us more focused upon the goal of heaven, and less satisfied by the things of this world. The reason for the fast is to draw closer to God, so too, living a life that is dedicated to God involves us removing those things from our lives that hinder our dedication, or that are unpleasing to Him, which makes them a hindrance to our dedication, because we know them to be sins, and any sort of compromise that we make, just leads to more compromise, and another, and another, until our lives are no different than those that live in the world. It is so easy to find ourselves setting the standard for our lives after that of the world; making our lives seem okay based upon the way the world lives, and not living holy lives based upon the Living Word of God. When I read this verse above, I imagine myself as a stone or a piece of glass getting smoothed over by the Living Word of God; each and every rough edge is being worn away by the Word washing over me; every imperfection is being removed as I yield my life to the Spirit of the Living God; until all that is left is a polished stone, that shines for Jesus... "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should show forth the praises of Him who hath called you out of darkness into His marvellous light: which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy. Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against your soul; having your conversation among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation." (1 Peter 2:9-12)  

No comments:

Post a Comment