Wednesday, October 2, 2013

"My Cause"

"Plead my cause, O LORD, with then that strive against me: fight against them that fight against me." (Psalms 35:1) I truly do believe this Psalm is connected to Psalm 34; they are united by a servants heart that is coming to terms with his calling verses his position, and understanding that it's all about the Master. For the servant, his cause is the doing the will of the master; therefore it is very right that the servant should ask the master to plead his cause when being hindered from doing what he has been instructed to do. The question we need to be asking ourselves, is, Are we doing God's will or our will? Because, if we are doing our will, then we really don't have the right to ask God for His assistance! Browouch! Actually, if we are not doing His will, then it is very practical that the hindrance we are experiencing in doing our cause, might just be the Lord's doing; so how are you going to get His assistance in fighting a battle of that nature? "Plead my cause" is a very bold request, because it assumes that it has the full backing of God in making it. David was at a point in his life when he felt assured of being the king; it was settled in his heart that he was, so he began to act and do the things which came with that calling. He made good judgments about sensible things that allowed him to place others first; making those that were his enemies only those that had no regard for others, with the exception of the current king, Saul, who David respected as God's anointed. Story books in Sunday School always show Saul sleeping in the cave when David cut off the skirt of his robe, which really was not the case; the actual matter was one of defecation, whereas Saul was in the cave to "cover his feet", which meant that he was squatting on the ground to defecate. It makes for a little different story, don't you think? Actually, the way things went down was like this: David and his men were hiding in the cave, Saul went in to do his business, David's men assured him that God had delivered Saul into his hand, so David was actually taking the first strike, yet not a lethal one, but only one to humiliate Saul; his men were going to be the ones that would strike the king. Yet, after doing what he did, David realized what the king represented, saying, "The LORD forbid that I should do this thing unto my master, the LORD's anointed, to stretch forth mine hand against him, seeing he is the anointed of the LORD." After saying this, David's men were caused to stay their hands from taking Saul's life; and when he had finished doing what he came in there to do, he got up and left; after which David ran out after him, and explained to him what just happen. (1 Samuel 24:3-15) I guess the bottom line to what the Lord has put upon my heart today, is that if my cause is not the Lord's cause, then my cause is just a pile of dung... "But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, and be found in Him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: that I may know Him, and the power or His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being made conformable unto His death; if by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead." (Philippians 3:7-11)  

No comments:

Post a Comment