Saturday, April 6, 2019

"The Near and Dear Side"

"Great are thy tender mercies, O LORD: quicken me according to thy judgments." (Psalms 119:156)

  Matthew Henry finishes off the last bit of commentary on verse 155, saying, "Behold, the Judge stands before the door." What side of the door do you want to be on? Either way that you might look at it, it still speaks judgment; one is a judgment of time, as in, the time to make a choice; the other speaks of a judgment of sentence, as in, you missed your opportunity. One involves Jesus knocking, the other ends with us knocking! I think it is best to accept the first, His offer of mercy! The way that I have come to understand it, just the proof in my heart that I care, that I am concerned about what condition my heart is in, is a good sign that the Holy Spirit is still working in me and changing me from the inside out. This is the near and dear side, the side that still admits that there is a work that still needs to be done. I have learned the hard way, you don't ever want to think that your life is all good, whether it is your marriage or your employment; never let your guard down, always walk in humility and depending upon God's protection and instruction for your life and everything that He has blessed you with. Now, to the question of Jesus knocking, and does He ever need to knock twice? Maybe we need to consider a very familiar book, "My Heart-Christ's Home." There is a point in the book where the author presents a situation, where Jesus asked the host to turn over a particular closet, one that has a very strong odor coming from it. The host replies that he does not want to, so the Lord implies that He must leave the house if he does not. Now, if that might be you, and if you did not turn over the closet, and the Lord left: would you want Him to come knocking again? Would He even come knocking again? This might be one of the most important reasons that I hold onto the reason that I think Mark was the Rich Young Ruler; and why Jesus said, "With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible." This He said in relation to a camel going through the eye of a needle, and a rich man's chances of entering the kingdom of Heaven. Does He knock twice? I think He might knock as many times as He wants or needs to knock; isn't that the point of David's proclamation and request? It might also be the reason David was called by God, "A man after Mine own heart." Truth be told, the Prodigal Son was a son, and never stopped from being a son...

""You say, 'I am rich. I have everything I want. I don't need a thing!' And you don't realize that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked. So I advise you to buy gold from me -gold that has been purified by fire. Then you will be rich. Also buy white garments from me so you will not be shamed by your nakedness, and ointment for your eyes so you will be able to see. I correct and discipline everyone I love. So be diligent and turn from your indifference. "Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends. Those who are victorious will sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat with my Father on his throne. "Anyone with ears to hear must listen to the Spirit and understand what he is saying to the churches."" (Revelation 3:17-22) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment