Wednesday, November 12, 2014

"Taking Ownership"

"For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me." (Psalms 51:3) This is something that must be personal and that I take ownership of; I cannot give anything to God that I do not own. I am pretty sure that we all pretty much understand that; although you can't tell that to be the case, based upon the way that we judge one another so much; we judge each other as if we have never done any wrong ourselves. In our relationship with God, forgiveness brings deliverance, but there are always the scars left over from the chains of bondage. Taking ownership of what we have done is harder than we sometimes think; sure, it is easy to say, Yes I am guilty; but then we go and try to find someone else to blame for our mistakes. You can see the example in the way Adam and Eve reacted to their own sin: at the very first they knew that they were guilty, but when confronted, they blamed someone else for what they had done. Understanding something about what Jesus said when He spoke of "the servant abideth not in the house for ever", we need to get the picture of what it means to be a servant in someone's home, in that it is not their home, but it belongs to someone else. The "servant" that Jesus was referring to was the person that might sin, as He said, "Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin"; but the truth of the matter is, we all sin, and not one of us are innocent of sin; therefore we were all once servants of sin. The only thing that can free us from being the servant of sin is by making Jesus our Lord, thereby making Jesus our new Master. The biggest problem that we have in that 'difficult situation', is that we continue thinking we live in the old master's house; we continue on with answering the commands of the old master, even though we have a new Master, Jesus Christ our Lord. There must be something there we have forgotten, something that we keep going back for; maybe it is just the memory of the sin, or the thought of what we experienced from our sin. The reason I referred to this as a 'difficult situation', is because it is difficult to not listen to that old master anymore; although it might be simple, and the answer is as simple as pie, it is difficult to obey what we know to be truth. That is what giving it all over to the Lord is all about! All of anything is everything, which means that there is nothing left for us to hold onto; absolutely nothing... "I know that ye are Abraham's seed; but ye seek to kill Me, because My word hath no place in you. I speak that which I have seen with My Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father. They answered and said unto Him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham. But now ye seek to kill Me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham. Ye do the deeds of you father. Then said they to Him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God. Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love Me: for I proceeded forth and come from God; neither cam I of Myself, but He sent Me. Why do ye not understand My speech? even because ye cannot hear My word." (John 8:37-43)

No comments:

Post a Comment