Sunday, July 27, 2014

"The Splendor of The Bride"

"Kings' daughters were among Thy honorable women: upon Thy right hand did stand the queen in gold of Ophir." (Psalms 45:9) Let me be the first to say, this verse is hard to visualize, so I will resort to Matthew Henry for his sixteenth century insight for most of commentary. That said, I truly believe that we are all going to be surprisingly amazed by what we will become in heaven; we will still recognize one another, of that I am sure, but having glorified bodies, that my friend is going to blow our minds; so much so, that sin will be the last thing that we will think about; or more to the point, sin will not enter our minds at all! As for those "ivory palaces" which were mentioned in the previous verse, those are the church having been glorified in heaven, and having been made ready for marriage, the marriage supper of the Lamb (Revelation 19:7-9). Would it be fair to say that there might be some that stand out more than others? I would surely hope so! I can not imagine that Peter, John, Paul, Phillip, Stephen, or the many others that have been or will be persecuted and killed, will not have a special seat in heaven; let alone, those that have forsaken everything else to serve Jesus, that they would have a better place than someone like me, who has hardly forsaken anything, and lives a life of comfort and pleasure. Collectively, we will all be the same body, but you have got to imagine that there will be higher honor for those that sacrificed much, verse those that sacrificed little; at least I would hope that is the way it works, otherwise we that sacrifice little might feel a little shamed having the same reward as someone that gave up everything. Personally, I would just be happy to be a fly on the wall in heaven; as long as I make, that would be just fine with me. I remember a message that I heard once, it must have been at least twenty years ago, but it was a powerful message about the building of the church, the church being the city of the bride, The New Jerusalem that is spoken of in Revelation 21. In this message the pastor spoke about the bricks or stones that made up the walls of the temple being those that did well in this life, and those that were more honorable were jewels within the walls; those that did not do so well, they made up the mortar that held everything together. Imagine what that might look like...  "And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will show thee the bride, the Lamb's wife. And he carried me away in the spirit to a great high mountain, and showed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God, having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal; and had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the twelve gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel: on the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates. And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb." (Revelation 21:9-14)

No comments:

Post a Comment