Friday, December 15, 2023

"The Messenger"

"Then she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him." (John 20:2 KJV) 

  "The woman said, "I know the Messiah is coming - the one who is called Christ. When he comes, he will explain everything to us." Then Jesus told her, "I Am the Messiah!" Just then his disciples came back. They were shocked to find him talking to a woman, but none of them had the nerve to ask, "What do you want with her?" or "Why are you taking to her?" The woman left her water jar beside the well and ran back to the village, telling everyone, "Come and see a man who told me everything I ever did! Could he possibly be the Messiah?" So the people came streaming from the village to see him." (John 4:25-30 NLT)

 If you have been following this crazy blog, for most of my adventure, then you might have had a chance to read about my very first teaching that I gave, based upon one word, "Must!" Which was taken from the verse, John 4:4 where it says, John's way, "And he must needs go through Samaria." (KJV) As was the case, most Jews would not go through Samaria, even if they had to go out of their way, it would be the place they would avoid, at just about all cost! 

 However, Jesus knew what He was doing, why He was going, and what He would encounter, once He got there! Therefore, it was a must that He go! As much as I would like to share more, it is not about that, but it is about the woman, the one that became the vessel by which Jesus would do what Jesus does: grow the Kingdom of God! 

 I was blessed yesterday to hear a message, from Pastor Jack. I have known Jack ever since the beginning of my journey as a believer, as he was the assistant pastor at my very first Calvary Chapel. Jack was in the room with Pastor Jeff, when my wife and I were being interviewed for our pre-marital counseling. 

 This was the moment when Jeff asked me how I pictured the wedding to be, and I quickly answered, "We would like to have an alter call at the wedding." Both Jack and Jeff looked at each other, not sure what that might look like. Just then, Pastor Mike and Pastor Dan were walking by, from lunch. Mike was the Youth Pastor and Dan was the Worship Pastor. 

 Jeff called out to Mike, "Hey Mike, come in here for a minute." Then Jeff turned to me, saying, "Tell him what you just told me about your wedding." So I said, "We want to have an alter call at the wedding." Mike quickly answered back, "Wow, that's cool!" So Jeff leaned forward, saying, "There is the Pastor that will perform your ceremony!" And then Dan said, "And I will provide the music!" 

 Anywho, the whole point of anything I just said, it that there are things which God expects us to do, which are the things that we can do! If we can do it, then God will not! However, those things we do, are the venue, means, or conduit, by which God does the things that only He can do! 

 Case in point, if you are called or prompted to lay hands on someone, to pray for a healing; it is your obedience to that prompting that will allow God to heal them. We cannot heal them, only God can do that; but we "MUST" be the servant, sent by God, to be available and faithful enough to do what we are prompted to do! 

 Just as this 'woman at the well', who was prompted to set down her water pot, and run down to her town, telling everyone about the Messiah! She became the messenger, even though see was not worthy of service, she was faithful to do her part! 

 Like I said before, the most important part in ministry, it to make yourself available: 'We must do our best; God does the rest'...

""The voices shook the Temple to its foundations, and the entire building was filled with smoke, Then I said, "It's all over! I am doomed, for I am a sinful man. I have filthy lips, and I live among a people with filthy lips. Yet I have seen the King, the LORD of Heaven's Armies." Then one of the seraphim flew to me with a burning coal he had taken from the altar with a pair of tongs. He touched my lips with it and said, "See, this coal has touched your lips. Now your guilt is removed, and your sins are forgiven." Then I heard the Lord asking, "Whom should I send as a messenger to this people? Who will go for us?" I said, "Here I am. Send me."" (Isaiah 6:4-8 NLT) 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment